What’s affecting me, my clients, my colleagues and other global small business owners:
- Global regulators say tougher bank rules do not curb small business lending.
- Quote of the week: “Let us find out what is desperately needed, although people may not know it, let us find out what will beautify the world, although people may not know it, then let’s learn and learn and teach ourselves and support each other in doing that until we lose ourselves in those tasks.” – 20th century inventor Edwin Land
- On Instagram @toilets_a_go_go, Hidefumi Nakamura documents the astounding breadth of public-toilet design in Japan. International travel exposes you to different cultures yet even doing your routine daily activities can broaden your horizons :-).
- Global finance leaders meeting in Japan recently said they were increasingly worried that the trade dispute between the United States and China, which shows no signs of abating, could propel the world economy into a crisis.
- The retailer Ulta Beauty will be going international in order to “establish Ulta Beauty as a successful global brand,” CEO Mary Dillon said in a statement. The first step of that process is launching operations in Canada, according to Dillon.
- President Donald Trump dangled the prospect of renewing his tariff threat against Mexico if the U.S. ally doesn’t cooperate on border issues, while some of his Democratic challengers for the White House said the last-minute deal to avert trade penalties was overblown.